Different fashion trends keeps evolving but skirts always finds its mainstay in the garment industry. When it comes to choosing the right outfit for the day, most of the time you eye for skirts. It provides you looks for the most professional to casual ones in variety of styles and lengths. Skirts have become one of the most prominent thing in any average wardrobe. There a mainly 31 types of skirts available in the market and all of them are described below. But before going through all 31 types of skirts, first know your body type and skirts’ length so you can easily pick your favorite ones while shopping online.
YOUR SKIRTS LENGTH EXPLAINED IN THE FOLLOWING DIAGRAM :
Types Of Skirts :
There are 31 types of skirts and all of them are described and shown below, have a look and tell us which one you are going to wear on which occasion 😉
1. A line Skirts
As the name suggest “A line”, it is a skirt in A shape letter which is tight at waist and gradually flares out at bottom.
- Its basic length is knee length, calf length or ankle length. Looks much prettier on curvy girls and well suited for both casual and formal wears.
2. Godet Skirts
This skirt is in the a-line skirt category, just insert triangular shape panels alongside sewing to enhance the volume.
- Its basic length is knee, calf or ankle length. It gives slimmer look. It is the best pick up for hourglass and apple body shaped girls and it also go for both casual and formal wears.
3. Circular Skirts
Circular skirt makes a perfect circle at the hem. And the longer variation of this is a very good pick up for formal apparel.
- Basic length is above knee, knee or calf length and is best choice for slim and hourglass body shape girls. The best occasion to wear is at party but can be used as formal or casual wears.
4. Asymmetrical Skirts
Commonly known as high-low skirts that have varying lengths at hem.
- It gives elegant looks and is of varying lengths. Best choice for tall and well-toned women and best occasion to wear them is at pool parties, beaches or casually.
5. Tulip Skirts
With overlapped fabrics in shape of tulip petal, this skirt resembles the shape of a tulip.
- Basic length is above knee or knee length and is best choice for well-toned and very slim women. It is semi-formal or formal attire.
6. Poodle Skirts
This skirt is still famous since mid of 20th century and it just gives you the glimpse of vintage era.
- Basic length is up to knee, calf and ankle length. Best pick up for petite and well-toned body women and it can be wear as party as well as formal wear.
7. Dirndl Skirts
It is a straight skirt which is gathered (pleats) at the waist by waist band.
- Enhancing volume at waist, its basic length is above knee and knee length and is best choice for very slim women and girls with well-toned legs. You wear it casually or it can be used as semi formal attire.
8. Bell Shaped Skirts
As the named suggests, it is tight at waist, a bit flares from waist line and then it comedown at knee making a shape of bell. Usually made from heavier fabric to holds the structure of the skirt.
- Basic length is knee or calf length. Best pick up attire for women who have well-toned waist and belly part. It is a evening and casual wear.
9. Mini And Micro Mini
The hemlines of mini skirts are just above knee and is famous since 1960’s. The micro-mini skirt’s length is often halfway up the thighs or 1 inch below where your hips ends.
- Basic length is above knee and midway thighs and is well suited for apple shaped body women and tomboys. And best occasion to wear them is at friends’ parties, casual parties or cheerleader events.
10. Pleated Skirts
This is a ready to go wear skirt having vertical pleats all over length.
- Basic length is knee, calf or ankle length. It is fit for all body types. It is a casual and party wear attire.
11. High-Waist Skirts
These are tight and buttoned at your true waist. It gives ornamentation at your waist line.
- Favoring all lengths, these are best pick up for hour glass and well toned body women. And can be wear casually or on formal occasion.
12. Bubble Skirts
Bubble skirt are in fashion since 1950, and as name implies it gives a bubble effect when tucked back under.
- Gives much curvier looks and basic length is above knee length. Best choice for very slim, well-toned and women having well-toned legs. And prefer it to wear on prom nights, casual parties or casually.
13. Draped Skirts
Very similar to tulip skirt, only difference is that it is draped at waist.
- Usual length is above knee or knee length. Gives extreme slimming effect, this skirt suits well on well-toned legs, very slim or small-busted women. It is semi-formal, formal or party wear garment.
14. Maxi Skirts
Maxi skirts are loose and long up to ankle length. These are good choice for winter season.
- Basic length is ankle length and best choice for hourglass and tall women. It is a causal wear.
15. Layered Skirts
This skirt consist of layers of fabric stitched one above other from the hem adding volume to it.
- Basic length is above knee or knee or calf length. It is a best pick up option for hourglass and slim girls. Usually it is casual or party wear attire.
16. Gored Skirts
Gored skirt have an A-line flare at the hem or at bottom. It is made by stitching triangular pieces of fabric that keep on getting wider at hem. Gored skirt have triangular fabrics starting from waist line to hem rather like Gordet skirt which have triangular pieces stitched only midway of hem.
- It gives you extreme ease of movement and basic length is below knee length. It looks awesome on slim, hourglass and women with well-toned legs. Wear Gored skirt to beach or pool parties.
17. Straight Skirts
These are tight at waist and hip area and go straight along the legs. Suggestion is to wear appropriate inner wears so that they don’t show up awkwardly through fabric.
- Basic length is knee or calf or ankle length. And it is strictly suggested for very slim and well-toned women only. It can be wear as party, casual or formal attire.
18. Flared Skirts
Similar to A-line skirt, these are well suited for both partying or an interview.
- Basic length is knee, calf or ankle length and is well suited for petite and statuesque like Gwyneth Paltrow. Usually worn as casual dress but can be worn as formal attire.
19. Gypsy Or Tiered Skirts
These are usually long in length wrinkled and ruffled up with horizontal slabs of fabric attached to hem.
- Basic length is ankle length. Best pick up for curvier, hourglass and pear shaped women. And it is a party or casual wear.
20. Bustle Skirts
Bustle skirt are new adaptation of crinolines as it is now evolved to be worn under crop tops and corsets.
- It is a contemporary style dress having basic length of knee, calf or ankle. Best pick up for plump, pear shaped and apple shaped women. It is an ethic wear.
21. Wrap Skirts
It is just a rectangular piece of fabric that girls wrap around their waist. It is a good choice for almost every women.
- Usual length are above knee, knee, calf or ankle length. Looks good on all body types. Don’t wear it on formal occasions, it is a casual, party or beach wear.
22. Skorts Skirts
It is a flawless blend of shorts and a skirt. A perfect sport outfit for women.
- Basic length is midway thigh or above knee. And best pick up for tomboys and apple shaped women. Wear it at gyms, sports day or casually.
23. Tutu Skirts
Recently paved into fashion industry this skirt is popular as special dress for ballet.
- Basic length is above knee or knee length. Best choice for hourglass, pear shaped and inverted triangle shaped women. It is a party wear attire.
24. Trouser Skirts
Perfect blend of trousers and a skirt. Actually these are trousers disguised of a skirt.
- Ankle length. Best pick up for well-toned body and hourglass shaped women. It is a casual or beach wear.
25. Skater Skirts
It gives you a casual sporty look and also known as circle skirt. Similar to A-line, which is tight at your actual waist.
- Basic length is above knee or midway thighs. Best pick up for tomboys and apple shaped women. You can wear it while skating, parties and as well as a casual attire.
26. Broomstick Skirts
With wrinkles all along the length this skirt gives a perfect shabby cowboy outlook.
- Ankle length skirt. Best pick up for slim or hourglass shaped women. It is a casual wear.
27. Mermaid Or Fishtail Skirts
Designers motivated from the mermaid myths and gave us one of the best looking attire in our wardrobe.
- Basic length is calf or ankle length. Perfectly suited for hourglass and well-toned body. It is a party as well as a formal wear.
28. Sarong Skirts
Simple fabric that you wrap around your waist to form a skirt. Can be used as bathing suit if you wrap it around your body.
- Ankle length attire. Best pick up for women with well-toned waist. It is a pool party or beach wear.
29. Peasant Skirts
Taken from the culture of peasants and paved into fashion industry. It gives a ethnic countryside look.
- Ankle length dress and looks on all body shapes. Wear it casually.
30. Pencil Or Tube Skirts
These are straight and very tight from the knees. If not worn by proper body types then it can be a disaster.
- Basic length is knee, calf or very rarely ankle length. Best pick up for well-toned or hourglass shaped women. Can be worn at parties or at formal occasions.
31. Denim Skirts
First worn by hippies who tried to recycle their denim jeans and further invaded as a fashion trend. These are very popular with cowboy styles.
- All lengths attire. Best choice for well-toned, triangle shaped hourglass shaped women. It is a winter wear, you can also wear it casually.
So, here is the list of all 31 types of skirts. We hope you find it interesting and useful.