Lehanga is a form of skirt from the Indian subcontinent which is long, embroidered and pleated. Whenever there is a occasion to dress traditionally, Lehanga always come around the corner. When it comes to world of ethnic dressing, first and foremost thing cross a women mind is wearing a Lehanga.
|Lehanga Or Lahenga Or Ghagra||Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri And Gujrati|
|Langa||Telegu And Kannada|
But before deciding to buy one, you must know the variety of lehangas in fashion and which one is best for your body type.
Body Type Explained :
I hope, based on the above images you have understood your body type by now. Now let’s understand various types of lehangas available in the fashion market.
There are usually 7 types of lehanga, which are as follows :
1. Mermaid Or Fishtail
These are tight at the knees and flares out from calf in form of fish tail imitating the mermaids.
- Best pick up for hourglass or banana body type and looks nice with halter neck choli. Wear proper bodysuit beneath it.
This resembles to English alphabet “A” which is tighter at waist and flare out to the bottom. Pleats are basically less in this lehenga and is elegant and easier to carry.
- Best choice for hourglass, pear body, suits well on tall women too. Varying lengths of choli can go with this lehanga.
3. Straight Cut
Resembling a wrap around skirt that goes straight from waist to the hem. Doesn’t flare out much like others as it is a straight skirt following your body curves.
- One of the most versatile option and goes well with almost every body type. We don’t suggest you this if you are way too thin. Choli blouse or blouse will be a perfect match with this. Just careful with wearing appropriate inner as it is extremely skin hugging attire.
- Perfect for pear, hourglass and petite body types and matches best with long cholis. Good choice if you are attending a traditional wedding when you aren’t a bride.
5. Circular Or Flared
As the name suggesting, it has multiple pleats stitched at waist which form a complete circle at hem. It is one of the oldest and most traditional style lehenga that has extreme volume.
- Goes perfect with all body types (not suggested if your waist is way too slim). Too much embroidery on the fabric won’t be a really good choice for this type.
6. Sharara Cut
These are stitched from the middle of hem like trousers or huge palazzo but look like lehanga as a whole.
- Goes perfect with almost all body types (doesn’t look that good on petite or women with too slim legs). Long kurti till hip or calf is the flawless match with this type.
7. Half Saree Lehanga
It is inspired from the traditional South Indian half sarees which gives a virtual saree look. The saree look is basically due to the way one drapes dupatta with the lehenga.
- Usually a low flare A-line lehenga which looks well with all body types and matches good with choli blouse.
Here are the types for choli for your lehangas :
And here is the chart for the best matches of choli or blouse with your lehenga :
So this is my effort to provide you some basic and essential knowledge regarding this ethnic attire that can help you to choose the designer or bridal lehangas.