Balloon sleeves are always trendy and fashionable. In making of balloon sleeves we need more fabric as compared to when making a normal sleeve. As in balloon sleeves we insert pleats on both ends i.e at shoulder joint region and also at wrist region.
Balloon Sleeves Drafting :
1. First measure the length and half arm round of your arm. After that keep the fabric in 4 layers.
2. On fabric, take length + 1 inch (sewing seam) and cut the extra. And in width take as much as fabric you need for pleats (range : 3 to 8 inches).
3. Also at bottom we don’t cut in slant manner as we do in simple sleeves drafting, because here we insert pleats. Only mark 0.5 inch for joining the sleeves.
4. From top open side mark 3 inch (range : 2.5 to 4 inch) and do curving of arm round till shoulder length + 1 inch mark. Leave the further fabric in a straight manner (as pleats will be inserted here).
5. In balloon sleeves, front sleeve deep drafting and cutting is not needed.
Balloon Sleeves Cutting :
1. Cut the armhole curve and slant line. After that, mark its center so that insertion of pleats can be done equally on both sides.
2. Now cut 2 inch wide stripes for arm round also.
Sewing/Stitching Of Balloon Sleeves :
1. Now, in sewing separate both sleeves and do temporary stitching on the top and bottom of both the sleeves width wise. (Temporary sewing must be in continuous manner)
2. After that stretch thread and insert pleats/bulges from both side equal to arm round + 1 inch.
3. Also at top, insert pleats by stretching thread from both side equal to shoulder length + 1 inch.
4. Match right of the strip and wrong of the sleeve and do permanent sewing at arm round. And after that flip it to the right side and double fold it and sew it on recent sewing line in straight manner.
5. Now match sleeves and top’s OR kurti’s arm-round right to right and also center to center for sewing alongside the armhole.
6. After that do fitting stitching and your balloon sleeves top OR kurti is ready to wear.