By this post you can easily make your 4 paneled petticoat. We provide you step wise procedure of drafting, cutting and stitching of 4 paneled petticoat.
Fabric needed is 2 to 2.25 meters.
How To Keep Your Fabric While Cutting :
Drafting And Cutting Of 4 Paneled Petticoat :
1. First fold your fabric and from one side mark 5 inch lengthwise and cut from waist band (length of waist band is 2 inches; fold wise it becomes 4 inches + 1 inch for sewing seam). If there is requirement of joint in waist band then we take extra fabric after complete drafting and cutting of petticoat.
2. Now open the fabric and cut 1.5 inch strips lengthwise from both sides for the frills (inserted at bottom of petticoat).
3. After that fold fabric lengthwise and from open side in length, measure your required length – 2 inch (because it is shorter in length as it is wear under sarees). Mark a straight line and cut the extra fabric.
4. Now on one side at corner, mark 1/4th of waist + 1 inch (sewing seam at both sides) lengthwise. And follow the same procedure at opposite direction of the other side of fabric.
5. After marking this, join the two points in slant manner.
6. And now take center of waist and mark a straight line of 4-5 inches for pleats insertion and transfer pleat mark to all other pieces.
7. Cut slant line and and match the panels (waist part to waist part and bottom part to bottom part).
Before stitching make a curve at the bottom and cut it so that the pointed extra fabric is removed.
Stitching Of 4 Paneled Petticoat :
1. First sew two panels matching right to right through the straight line and repeat the same procedure for other two remaining side panels also.
2. After that insert four pleats of 0.5 inch width and 4-5 in length (gradually decrease sewing width while going at the tip of pleat).
3. Then place the two pieces on each other matching right to right. And if you want to reduce your bottom width then from center of petticoat measure half of bottom of width + 0.5 inch width wise. After that join these points till half length of petticoat lengthwise in slant manner and cut it.
4. Then totally sew one of the slant side. And on other side leave 5-6 inch gap lengthwise from top at waist and sew the rest till bottom width (this gap is kept, so that one can wear it easily).
5. Now sew the 5-6 inch gap from its boundaries by double folding the fabric.
6. After that sew waist band region, matching right of waist band strip to wrong of petticoat fabric and sew it width wise.
7. Now flip the petticoat to right side and fold waist band on recently sewing line and sew it keeping the extra sewing fabric inside.
8. Now join fabric for frills with each other and make frills by pinching and sewing. Open one of bottom stitching and sew petticoat fabric and frill fabric matching right to right. After that join opened petticoat fabric till frills.
9. After that do press stitching on petticoat’s bottom taking the back extra stitched fabric towards upper direction.
10. Our 4 paneled petticoat is now ready to wear.
Video tutorial of 4 paneled petticoat :