In this post you’ll learn how to make ruffle neckline top. Hope you already learnt the simple sleeves marking, drafting, cutting and stitching. Here, with this ruffle neckline top I’m going to teach you making and joining of raglan sleeves. It is really simple and fun to make top, so let’s get started.
How this ruffle neckline top differs from other tops :
This top contains ruffles or gathers at neck, sleeves and waist part.
Fabric needed :
Double of (length of top + 3 inches) + sleeves’ length + 2 inch.
Ruffle Neckline Top Drafting And Cutting :
1. First of all, fold fabric in 2 layers lengthwise equal to length of top + 3 inch.
2. After that fold it width wise equal to 1/2 of hips + 4 inch (for gathers/ruffles). Now the fabric is in four layers and on this we do drafting of our top.
3. Now from the top closed side take 1/2 of shoulder to shoulder width + 0.5 inch. After that from this point take shoulder length lengthwise and join both marks in a straight line.
4. At this shoulder length point, from closed side take 1/4 of chest width wise + 2 to 3 inch. And after that do shallow curving of sleeves.
5. Now at top closed side, mark 1/2 of neck width + 1.5 inch (for ruffles) and neck length + 2 inch (for ruffles), make a box and do neck drafting and curving.
For Raglan Sleeves :
1. For raglan sleeves, put inch-tape at fitting line of chest and cross mark it on neckline according to your comfort (range of neck length from top is 2 to 4 inch).
2. Now cut the neck portion and recent line for raglan sleeves (just make sure to cut it leaving 0.5 inch extra alongside the line). After that cut the fabric straight till bottom.
3. The drafting and cutting of raglan sleeves – Fold remaining fabric width wise in 4 layers and adjust the sleeves’ fabric 0.5 inch beneath your top’s fabric matching neckline and sideline. The neckline and sideline must come in right angled position. Adjust your neck length accordingly.
4. After that extend shoulder length line on sleeves’ fabric and from this point take your sleeves’ length + 1 inch.
5. Now make a slant line on sleeves’ fabric alongside the top’s slant line and also do curving for neck portion.
6. Separate top and sleeves’ fabric and draw a line parallel to previous slant line on sleeves’ fabric minding a gap of 0.5 inch. Cut it.
Ruffle Neckline Top Stitching :
1. For stitching, match right to right of top & sleeves and sew it starting from neck portion side to armhole. Do the same on other side and on back piece too.
2. After that, take extra fabric we get at wrong side towards top fabric side and do press stitching.
3. Now take 2 to 2.5 inch wide slant strip, and sew it alongside neck portion matching right to right like we do in back neck stitching.
4. Mark small cuts on neckline and fold it to wrong side taking out the piping. Sew it alongside neckline.
5. Now take narrow elastic and make a band according to your comfort and insert it in the neckline strip. Fold the slant strip again and sew it alongside neckline (make sure elastic band doesn’t come in the way of stitching).
6. Insert slant strip in wrist holes and waist part too. Now match right to right of both front and back pieces and do sewing starting from arm-round till bottom (leaving strip region at wrist and waist part).
7. After that cut elastic according to your comfort for wrist hole and waist, make a band and insert it as we did at neckline region.
8. Your ruffle neckline top is ready to wear. It goes well with skirts, tight jeans and palazzo.